Friday, January 26, 2007

SWOON is one of my favorite artists ever.


SWOON, originally uploaded by pinkfixie.

She is also a friend, a super rad person, totally into bicycles, and really fun to hang out with. I was thrilled to hear she was installing a new collaborative show with Faile and David Ellis Over at New Image Art Gallery on Fairfax and Santa Monica Blvd. The installation was going great and they had been working non-stop for days when I finally dragged them out of the gallery, into the sunlight, and a few miles down the road to Scoops for an ice cream break.

I try to take all my out-of-town friends, and basically anyone I can, to Scoops (Heliotrope off of Melrose) because it's the most amazing ice cream on earth. Besides that though, I also wanted them to see Orange 20, and the Bicycle Kitchen.

Scoops of course was awesome, and it was neat that they got to check out the Bicycle Kitchen and Orange 20 because LA has such a bad rap when it comes to bikes (which I think is only because people don't know!!). They got to see that this type of bicycle goodness not only exists in Los Angeles, but is kicking strong!.

SWOON wanted to hit the streets of LA with a few pieces before she left (see Alvarado south of Olympic Blvd. and a certain pink door on Beverly Blvd east of Rampart). She had one very complicated piece and said she needed a good few minutes of safety in order to put it up. She asked for suggestions, so I took her back over to Orange 20 :)

I can't tell you how excited she was to leave this present for the LA Bike Community. I can't tell you how excited I am that she put it up there.

And in the (paraphrased) words of TJ (one of the Orange 20 owners) 'It's not everyday that a shopowner comes to his store in the morning and is really happy to see a piece of graffiti up on his wall!!' Or something like that...

Anyways, SWOON - you're welcome in LALA anytime.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?